It’s time to register for High Holy Day 2018/5779 services! Here is some helpful information:
Ordering Your Tickets
Registration is now open. Service times are filled on a first come, first served basis, so please register your family and guests as soon as possible. Everyone must have a ticket to attend our High Holy Day services. Members may register by:
- Visiting www.templerodefshalom.org and clicking the High Holy Day registration link by August 15, 2018 (not in the Members Only section). You will receive an email confirmation of your service choices, donations, and Yahrzeit names. Please keep this for your records. (Login and re-set password are provided in this enclosed letter and via email. Note that the characters following the “M” are zeroes.)
- Calling the Temple office at 703.532.2217.
- Visiting the Temple during office hours.
Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur Afternoon Offerings
Here is a brief description of the services offered during the High Holy Days, including the ages the for whom the services are most appropriate.
Guest of Member Ticket Purchase
Guests are family and friends that accompany members to services. Due to space constraints we only have room for members and their guests. We are able to offer tickets to our evening Alternative Services at George Mason High School to the community. These Alternative Services are open to the public. (See the Non-Member Tickets tab for more information)
Here are the options for guests of our members:
Evening and Morning Services:
- All attendees at all of our High Holy Day evening and morning services must have a ticket.
- Parents and grandparents of members are offered complimentary tickets.
- Guests who belong to a Reform congregation are entitled to complimentary tickets. Please have their congregation email or fax a “High Holy Days Seating Request” form to firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.536.0754. To ensure that your guests are seated with you, please list their names on the guest page in the online registration system and select services for them when you order your tickets; you need not wait until the Temple receives the form to order their tickets.
- A ticket to any evening or morning service entitles your guests to attend all afternoon services.
- If you would like to bring guests to afternoon services only, add them to the guest page on the website but do not select services for them. They will receive a complimentary blank ticket for afternoon services.
- Only adults are required to have tickets for afternoon Tot services.
Costs for Guest Tickets (The cost of guest tickets is a tax-deductible contribution):
- Parents and Grandparents of Members no charge
- Adult Relative (age 30 and older) $50 per service
- Unrelated Adult (age 30 and older) $75 per service
- Adult Children/Guests (age 26-29) $25 per service
- Alternative Evening Services $25 per service
- Younger Family Evening Services (Adult & Child Guests) $10 per service
A non-member does not belong to TRS and/or is unable to accompany a TRS member to services/secure a ticket. Due to space constraints we only have room for members and their guests. We are able to offer tickets to our evening Alternative services at George Mason High School to the community.
This intimate worship experience for adults, teens and older children includes participatory music with piano, guitar, flute, and percussion accompaniment. The prayers are introspective, contemporary, and encourage self-reflection.
The Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur/Kol Nidre services are at 7:30 pm and are led by Rabbi Stephanie Bernstein and Soloist Lauren Rigby.
- Erev Rosh Hashanah is Sunday, September 9
- Erev Yom Kippur/Kol Nidre is Tuesday, September 18
- Cost: $25 each; are required and are non-refundable.
- Location: George Mason High School Auditorium. George Mason is just off the Orange Line at the West Falls Metro.
- RSVP: https://trshhdservice2018.eventbrite.com
- Contact: High Holy Day Volunteer Desk, Email: email@example.com, Phone: 703.532.2217, Extension 318.
Tot Service Tickets
The Rosh Hashanah Tot Service is Monday, September 10 at 4:00 pm. The Yom Kippur Tot Service is Wednesday, September 19 at 3:15 pm.
- Tickets are free.
- Members and guests of members will be able to use a a regular ticket secured during registration.
- Non-members: obtain a ticket by dropping by the Temple office during office hours or contact the High Holy Day Volunteer Desk, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 703.532.2217, Extension 318.
To guarantee seating with groups of friends or relatives, register as one group, with the smaller group signed up as guests of the larger group. There is no charge for TRS members who are registered as your guests.
If any of the following occur, please contact the High Holy Day volunteer desk:
- If the service you prefer is full.
- If you have decided to bring an additional guest, and the service you are registered for is full.
- If you would like oral interpreting, hearing assisted devices, large print prayer books, or a wheelchair.High Holy Day Volunteer Desk, Email: email@example.com, Phone: 703.532.2217, Extension 318.
- Babysitting is available for Adult Morning Services at the Temple for children ages two through six. Obtain with tickets for a fee of $15 per child with your registration. Prior registration is required.
- The High Holy Days Youth Program is available for Temple members’ children in Kindergarten through grades four and is held concurrently with the early and late morning services on both holidays. Registration is required so we are able to find enough volunteers and teachers.
- The names of those who passed away since last Rosh Hashanah will be listed in the book and read aloud during the service.
- Names of additional family members that you would like to be listed in the book should be submitted with the registration of your ticket for a $18 donation per name.
- Tickets will be mailed in late August.
- Tickets are non-transferable and not to be shared. Please honor this policy. All ticket holders will receive a ticket badge, including children.
- Please be sure to check tickets immediately so any issues may be addressed before the holidays.
- The last day tickets may be picked up at the Temple is September 7, 2018.
- Your annual contribution, Facility and Maintenance Fund donations and other fees must be up-to-date before any tickets will be sent. If you need to make special arrangements or clarify your financial standing, please call Beth Silver, at 703.676.3866.
Transportation & Parking
- Don’t get a parking ticket!
Please be respectful; do not block driveways (law is 10 foot clearance to a driveway) or park on the grass. Police will ticket!
Those parking near TRS: Please do not park on Kirby Court.
More info: http://bit.ly/trsparkingtips
- Using disabled parking
There are limited designated disabled parking spots in the TRS parking lot. Allow extra time to drop off someone who has a disability the top of the hill near the main Sanctuary doors or if you are a driver, with a disability to enter at the designated doors at the Religious School entrance.
- Use the free shuttle!
The shuttle runs continuously between TRS and St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church (1830 Kirby Rd, McLean) or Chesterbrook Swim Club (next to St. Dunstan’s). Please use the shuttle to Redeemer Lutheran Church.
- Take a cab, Uber or Lyft!
Arlington Red Top Cab, 703.522.3333 or Yellow Cab, 703.534.1111.
- Both alternative service locations offer free parking but we ask that you use the shuttle to Redeemer Lutheran Church. The George Mason High School location is accessible via the West Falls Church Metro Station. Do not park in the Giant Food parking lot across from the George Mason H.S.; you will be towed.
- George Mason High School Auditorium
7124 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA 22043
- Redeemer Lutheran Church
1545 Chain Bridge Road, McLean, VA 22101 (at corner of Westmoreland Street)
Please park on the Chain Bridge Road side.
Accessibility & Inclusion
Temple Rodef Shalom works to ensure that we are a community that is welcoming, inclusive and accessible to all. Please contact the High Holy Day volunteer desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.532.2217, Extension 318 if we can assist you with any special accommodations.
- Live Streaming
If you or someone you know is unable to make it to services, we offer live streaming of services in the Sanctuary (except Tot.) All services are available later in the video archive.
- Assisted Devices
If you would like oral interpreting, hearing assisted devices, large print prayer books, or a wheelchair, please contact the High Holy Day volunteer desk at 703.532.2217, Extension 318 or email@example.com.
There are limited designated disabled parking spots in the Temple parking lot. Allow extra time to drop off someone with a disability at the top of the hill near the main Sanctuary doors or if you are a driver with a disability, to enter at the designated doors at the Religious School entrance.
Visit our website to learn more about our accessibility and inclusion efforts.
Usher sign-up is separate from ticketing, and can be done online this summer. Please go ahead and register for your service choices even if you know you will be volunteering to usher. Thank you for volunteering for this important work.
Make a Difference – Yom Kippur Donation Drive
Tuesday & Wednesday, September 18 & 19
On Yom Kippur we are collecting nonperishable food, paper products and toiletries to stock the shelves at the SHARE, Inc. food pantry, which serves low-income residents of McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church and the Tysons/Pimmit Hills area. Bring your donations with you to services and leave them on the truck parked at the top of the parking lot.
At this time of year the pantry’s shelves are almost bare, and SHARE relies heavily on the generosity of TRS congregants to provide the bulk of their food for the next three to four months. All donations are greatly appreciated but these items are always in short supply: cooking oil, white rice, tuna, cereal, toothpaste, laundry detergent and diapers/wipes.
A complete list of needed items can be found at the SHARE, Inc. website or in the weekly eletter. We will also need volunteers to help deliver, sort and shelve the donations on Wednesday, September 19 in the late afternoon. Stay tuned for more information.
Questions or Problems
We are happy to help.
Should you have a question or problem, please contact our High Holy Day volunteers who will be back in touch with you as soon as possible. Reach them via:
Phone: 703.532.2217, Extension 318
Best wishes to you from the Clergy, Staff and Board of Directors for a year filled with health and happiness!