Winter Mitzvah Day 2020
Due to COVID-19, Winter Mitzvah Day will be a scaled-down and socially distanced event, but we can still help our neighbors in need! You can help out in the following ways:
- Winter Coat Drive: Donate new or gently used coats, gloves/mittens, hats, or scarves for low-income families. Look for the large donation box in front of the ECC/Religious School entrance after December 9.
- Food Drive: Donate emergency food supplies to low-income families in our local area. Your donations will go to SHARE and the Falls Church Community Services Council to help local families who are hungry. A list of needed items is included in each week’s Temple e-letter. Please drop off your donations in the Mitzvah Box outside the ECC/Religious School entrance. The Mitzvah Box inside the sanctuary lobby is not being used at this time.
- Kenmore Food Drive: Kenmore Middle School is collecting funds to support Arlington families with the food and supplies they need. Donate here
- “McLean Cares:” TRS has joined this new interfaith initiative led by Immanuel Presbyterian Church that provides free meals once per month to those in need (e.g., low-income families at the Falls Church-McLean Children’s Center and seniors in subsidized housing). The $10 meals (plus a $1.50 tip) are prepared by McLean restaurants, thereby making this a “win-win” initiative by providing them with much-needed revenue. Buy a meal(s) here
- AFAC: The Arlington Food Assistance Center provides food weekly to those in need: Find food drop-off sites and/or donate here
New Hope Housing represents a number of shelters big and small (Bailey’s Shelter, Max’s Place, Susan’s Place, Gartland House, Mondloch House, Milestones, and RISE) that TRS has helped each year; but, now we will help by way of gift cards for food and clothing.
- Christmas Food Baskets: New Hope Housing provides Christmas food baskets for low-income residents to ensure that they have a special and filling meal for the holidays. Donate $25 grocery gift card(s) (Safeway or Shopper’s Food Warehouse only) so that recipients can also purchase a protein of their choice. Grocery gift cards or checks can be mailed to: NHH Gift Card Drive, ATTN: Sami Smyth, 8407-E Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22309. If sending a check, put “Christmas Food Baskets” on the check memo line.
- Clothing: Donate thermal underwear, undershirts, and other basic clothing to Bailey’s Crossroad and other local shelters. Their Amazon wish list is here. At checkout, make sure to click on New Hope Housing as the recipient.
- Gift Cards: To keep everyone as healthy as possible, New Hope Housing clients will accept gift cards to purchase their own gifts for the holidays. Checks or $25 Walmart or Target gift cards can be mailed to: NHH Gift Card Drive, ATTN: Sami Smyth, 8407-E Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22309. If sending a check, put “Gift Cards” on the check memo line.