What Your Child Leads at a Morning Service
On the FRIDAY NIGHT of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah (Erev Shabbat), your child:
- Has the honor of sitting on the Bimah.
- Helps dress the Torah if it is read.
- Leads the Aleinu during the conclusion of the service.
- Leads the congregation in the chanting of the Kiddush on the Bimah.
Saturday Morning Service Bar/Bat Mitzvah (10:30 am)
Student A (If single, student follows “A” part)
- Yotzeir Or (praises God for creating light), read or chanted
- Ahavah Rabbah – first & last lines (praises God for giving Israel the Torah), read or chanted
- V’ahavta (performing Mitzvot), read or chanted
- Adonai S’fatai Tiftach (preparing for the T’filah), read or chanted
- Avot – Imahot (praises God for our ancestors), read or chanted
- G’vurot (praises God for giving all life), read or chanted
- Kad’sheinu (praises God for the Sabbath), read or chanted
- Torah blessings chanted
- Approximately 10-14 verses of Torah, read or chanted in 3 aliyot.
- Haftarah blessings chanted. (If you have a partner, each student does one blessing.
- Approximately 5 verses of Haftarah, chanted.
Personal Reflection Speech
Return to B’nai Mitzvah Parent Page