Changes to Temple Schedule Due to COVID-19
With everyone’s health and safety in mind, the following decisions regarding Temple worship services, Religious School classes, programs, and activities through March 31 have been implemented.
- Friday night services will be virtual only and can be viewed on our website anytime after 6:30 PM. The temple’s streaming page is https://www.templerodefshalom.org/live/. An online version of Mishkan T’filah will be available for congregants on the streaming page.
- Saturday services will be held at the Temple and are only open to B’nai Mitzvah families and their guests. All Saturday services will also be streamed and available in our archive.
- Our monthly Parallel, Tot, and Shabbat Hanefesh Services are cancelled for March. Virtual options may become available. Please stay tuned.
- Saturday morning Torah Study is cancelled.
- Shabbat Yoga is cancelled.
The TRS Early Childhood Education Center is closed and will reopen April 13.
Religious School is closed for the remainder of March.
- Sunday morning and evening sessions are cancelled.
- Midweek Hebrew classes are cancelled.
- There will be no in-person programs held at the Temple in March. Programs will be cancelled, postponed, or held virtually online.
- All MoTRS and WoTRS March events have been cancelled.
- All events (including rehearsals) with our choirs have been cancelled for March.
- All youth programs for TRSTY, Jr TRSTY and Lil’ TRSTY have been cancelled.
- All offsite programs held at Chesterbrook Residences have been cancelled.
- All Soup Caravan programs have been cancelled.
- The Second Night Seder has been cancelled. All other April and Passover events are unaffected at this time but are subject to change.
- Decisions regarding April programs are pending. Please consult the weekly e-letter and our website calendar for more details.
iEngage has been postponed and will resume later this spring. Attendees will be notified of the new dates by Rabbi Bernstein.
- The Social Action Shabbat service and dinner has been rescheduled for Friday, May 8. The dinner will be at 6:30 PM, with the service at 8:00 PM.
- Women of TRS Shabbat has been rescheduled for Friday, May 15, at 8:00 PM.
- The Refugee Shabbat service will be rescheduled for a future date.
- Michael Hausfeld: Creation Unwound: The Biblical Obligation for Climate Sustainability has been rescheduled for Monday, May 18 at 7:00 PM.
Virtual Meetings and Classes
The following programs will meet virtually in March:
- Committee Meetings
- Congregational Board Meeting
- Next Step
- TRSTY Board
- Wise Aging (current class and ongoing gatherings)
Please contact your committee chair, program or class facilitator, or TRS staff contact for details on how to attend these virtual events.
Clergy and Staff Availability
The clergy will refrain from hospital visits at this time but will remain in touch with members via phone.
If you would like to speak with our clergy in confidence, they may be contacted at 703.532.2217. The clergy can be reached at their extensions, even if the Temple is closed.
Rabbi Amy Schwartzman, extension 316, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cantor Michael Shochet, extension 312, email@example.com
Rabbi Jeffrey Saxe, extension 315, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cantor Rachel Rhodes, extension 401, email@example.com
Rabbi Stephanie Bernstein, extension 303, firstname.lastname@example.org
Temple leadership will continue to monitor the situation closely and continue to review and adjust our plans as necessary. Please check the TRS website and your email frequently for updates.
For the most recent information from the CDC on COVID-19, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html.